Ten Reasons You Should Get to Confession This Weekend
1. You need to. You have a mortal sin on your soul, and it’s killing you. You know you want to live. So go to confession.
2. You don’t need to. Oh, really, you don’t need to? You don’t need to have your soul refreshed, your courage strengthened, your dusty, crusty, venial sin-chapped hide soothed with the sweet balm of forgiveness? You don’t need to hear one more time that the Almighty Son of God came down from Heaven, was born, suffered, died, and rose again so that you, personally, could be saved? No thanks, you don’t neeeeed any of that right now? Really? Go to confession.
3. Your kids need to see you do it. You can talk all you want about receiving the sacraments, but if you don’t do it, chances are they won’t do it when they grow up. So go to confession.
4. Your spouse needs to see you do it. In the words of Anthony Esolen,
Look in the mirror. Take a long, slow, excruciating look in the mirror. See your faults for what they are. See all the petty selfishness and cowardice and spitefulness and pride and envy. Then think that there's somebody on earth who is silly enough to love you. And when you are exercised about your spouse's faults, just repeat these words three times: "You're no peach either." Works wonders.
Go on, peachy. Let your spouse know you’ve looked in the mirror. Go to confession.
5. You might die soon. Honest to goodness, it could happen! All it takes is for some distracted lady driving a huge 15-passenger van to get whacked in the side of the head with an apple core while she’s driving in the roundabout and BAM, you’re gone. Get it in now, while you can still walk and talk, because it may be your last chance. Go to confession!
6. It’s the beginning of the school year. Whether you’re homeschooling or sending the kids off, or if you’re a teacher, or maybe you’re a student yourself, or maybe you’re the unlucky son of a gun who stocks the back-to-school shelves at Staples, and you feel like you’re going to strangle the next inconsiderate slob who thinks it’s funny to rearrange all the Flair pens – you need to turn things around. The start of something new is always a good time to get a clean slate. So go to confession.
7. You spent the whole day glued to your computer yesterday, reading everything you can about Syria and Miley Cyrus, and now you have a wretched, empty sensation between your ears. All the world is sad and dreary, and you can’t think of any particular reason why you should even bother to get up tomorrow. Confession restores hope. Go to confession.
8. You’ve been doing great lately. You pray a lot, you’ve been patient and kind, you’re making all kinds of progress in your career, and your personal life is blooming. Confession gives glory to God. Go to confession!
9. You’re not really sure that God is listening to you anyway. You don’t bear him any particular ill will, but He doesn’t seem to have anything to do with you, and vice versa. Confession makes a connection with God. Go see Him in confession.
10. What, nine reasons aren’t enough for you? Now you’re just looking for excuses. It's only Thursday; you can totally figure out how to get it into your schedule. Go to confession. Go!