EWTN-National Catholic Register
STAFF REPORTER (NCR)
Full-time, Washington, D.C. (Potential for Remote)
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT THE BIG PICTURE:
As the Staff Reporter, you will be responsible for producing news articles and other reporting for the National Catholic Register’s print and online versions, as assigned by the Register’s editors, and in accordance with their style and mission.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
• Research, plan, and writE articles assigned by the Managing Editor in consultation with the editorial team; on average three stories weekly.
• Conduct interviews and follow up with sources in person, over the phone, or via email, as needed.
• Participate in weekly editorial meetings on a regular basis.
• Proactively pitch compelling, timely and newsworthy stories, demonstrating knowledge of current events, Catholic news, and the Register’s audience.
• Employ creative solutions to common story problems, such as trouble reaching sources, tight deadlines, lack of art, etc.
• Assist in selecting, preparing, and posting daily wire stories, writing short news blogs, or assisting social media upkeep, as requested.
• Assist in production tasks, such as editing, proofreading, headline writing, and posting content, as requested.
• Attend events to cover assignments or to keep abreast of industry trends and technologies.
• You have 3-5 years of prior experience working in Journalism or Communications, with emphasis on news writing, blogging and social media.
• You are a practicing Catholic with demonstrated understanding of the Catholic Church and relevant topics and how it relates to the Register’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
• You are familiar with contemporary social, political, and religious issues, and basic liberal arts formation in theology, philosophy, and history.
• You have the capacity for analyzing events in relationship to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
• You demonstrate proven written proficiency in the English language, with firm grasp on grammar, usage, and syntax; consistent editing and organizational skills.
• You exemplify good news judgement; flexibility to adapt quickly to changing deadlines and priorities and troubleshoot issues when they arise.
• You have strong knowledge of, and the ability to follow, standard journalistic practices, particularly in regard to accuracy, honesty, and fairness.
• You are able to meet deadlines as assigned; prioritize and multi-task at a high level.
• You have the ability of working with sources, colleagues, advertisers, and readers diplomatically; ability to conduct thorough background research.
• You have strong knowledge and application of AP Style and CNS Style; intermediate level skills working with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop, is preferred.
• You are experienced in operating a digital SLR camera and taking news-quality photographs; experience operating audio and video recording equipment and software.
• You are proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer and email applications; experience in using basic Web site content management system.
• You are able to accommodate a flexible work schedule as some nights and weekends may be required and are able to travel domestically in consideration of breaking news.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT WORKING HERE:
• We offer a career with purpose! Apply your God-given talents, knowing your contributions help advance EWTN’s mission of sharing the Gospel with the world.
• Family-oriented working environment. We value the importance of family, and welcome you as an EWTN family member, not just an employee.
• Worship at work! Freedom to participate in daily Mass, Adoration, and prayer throughout your workday.
• Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life/Disability insurance and Retirement Savings Plan.
• 11 Paid Holidays and generous Paid Time Off program.
• Tuition reimbursement for online continuing education and degree programs through our partnership with Catholic Distance University.
• Potential for flexible hours and telecommuting may be possible dependent upon the position and department needs.
• Ability to learn alongside legacy employees while bringing new ideas to the growing team!
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
If you’re ready to get started on EWTN’s mission to bring the Gospel to the world, please email a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations to [email protected]. Thank you for considering EWTN and we look forward to hearing from you!