Director of Faith Formation
St. Columba Church, Durango, CO
The Director/Coordinator of Faith Formation implements, coordinates, and evaluates all parish catechetical ministry. The incumbent is an active participant in parish activities and will successfully assume new responsibilities for the parish. As a representative of the Catholic Church, the applicant will conduct him/herself according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing his/her duties. The applicant will assist St. Columba Parish in carrying out our core purpose to offer people the abundance they long for through life with the Lord.
The Director of Faith Formation receives general direction from the Pastor and exercises supervision over volunteer catechists. This position coordinates activities with parish staff, school administration, and volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Typical duties may include, but are not limited to:
• The assessing of needs, setting goals, periodic evaluations, and overseeing all parish religious education programs, including OCIA, all faith formation, sacramental preparation, and catechetical events and activities.
• Responsible for the cultivation and nurturing of small group faith formation, providing supervision and content selection.
• Responsible for directing parish faith formation programs including curriculum development and the selection materials.
• Responsible for the recruitment, selection, and training of catechists, small group leaders, and other volunteer staff working in faith formation.
• Represents St. Columba Parish on matters pertaining to faith formation.
• Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Pastor.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Membership and active participation in the Church required.
• Knowledge of National Catechetical Directory (NCD), recent church catechetical documents, theology, and scripture.
• Knowledge of group dynamics and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Proficient in principles of organization, administration, budget and personnel management.
• Proficient in basic office technology.
Education and Experience: Any combination of experience and education that provide the necessary knowledge:
• Bachelor of Arts in sociology, psychology, religious education, or related field.
• Possesses an initial catechist certification.
• Complete Ministry Formation Program within 4 years of hire.
• Three or more years' experience in coordination of religious education programs.
• Three or more years' teaching experience in religious education.
Specific Working Conditions to Parish:
• Job functions result in a varied work schedule which includes working Sundays and one to two evenings each week during the school year.
• Working environment includes an office setting with extensive contact with parishioners during activities on parish grounds.
Employee should demonstrate leadership ability, especially in outreach to parishioners, inquirers, and the marginal or inactive Catholics.
Please email resume to [email protected]