While people against the bathroom agenda cite safety concerns for women and children, the children identifying as transgendered are being harmed by a society failing to give them the real help that they need.
Obama’s new policy is that boys who identify as girls should have full access to girls’ bathrooms and locker rooms. Anything less is considered a transphobic denial of civil rights. Many Americans are outraged. And it’s not just an opinion; it’s based on spiritual and scientific truths.
The Pope On Transgender
Pope Francis does not want to deny anyone human rights. Yet, his stance on transgenderism is that it is against God’s creation. Last fall, the Vatican ruled that transgendered people cannot carry out the responsibility of Godparents. The Vatican Doctrinal Congregation stated “transsexual behavior publicly reveals an attitude contrary to the moral imperative of resolving the problem of one’s sexual identity according to the truth of one’s sexuality.”
In the Pope’s post synod letter on marriage and the family, Amoris Laetitia (“The Joy of Love”), in chapter 7 where sex education is covered, he said that children should be taught “respect and appreciation” for sexual differences.
“Beyond the understandable difficulties which individuals may experience, the young need to be helped to accept their own body as it was created, for “thinking that we enjoy absolute power over our own bodies turns, often subtly, into thinking that we enjoy absolute power over creation… An appreciation of our body as male or female is also necessary for our own self-awareness in an encounter with others different from ourselves.” (285)
“Only by losing the fear of being different, can we be freed of self-centeredness and self-absorption. Sex education should help young people to accept their own bodies and to avoid the pretension “to cancel out sexual difference because one no longer knows how to deal with it” (304)
Expert Medical Warnings
The American College of Pediatrics (ACPeds) warns of the dangers of accommodating gender confused thinking in children. They especially reject the hormone treatment given to some children to prepare for sex change operations later on. In their March 2016 statement Gender Ideology Harms Children, ACPeds urged educators and legislators “to reject all policies that condition children to accept as normal a life of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex.”
According to them:
- Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait.
- No one is born with a gender. Everyone is born with a biological sex.
- A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking.
- Puberty is not a disease and puberty-blocking hormones can be dangerous.
- According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.
- Children who use puberty blockers to impersonate the opposite sex will require cross-sex hormones in late adolescence. Cross-sex hormones (testosterone and estrogen) are associated with dangerous health risks including but not limited to high blood pressure, blood clots, stroke and cancer.
- Rates of suicide are twenty times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery, even in Sweden, which is among the most LGBTQ – affirming countries. What compassionate and reasonable person would condemn young children to this fate knowing that after puberty as many as 88% of girls and 98% of boys will eventually accept reality and achieve a state of mental and physical health?
- Conditioning children into believing that a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.
In summary, ACPeds stated that the science is clear and that it is ”abusive to promote this ideology.”
John Hopkins University School of Medicine, which pioneered sex reassignment surgery in the 1960s, stopped doing it when follow-up revealed that subsequent psychosocial adjustment for those patients was no better than those who didn't have the surgery. And a 2011 long-term study (up to 30 years) at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden revealed that beginning about 10 years after the surgery, the transgendered began experiencing increasing mental difficulties and their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the rest of the population.
Dr. Paul McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief and the current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, for Johns Hopkins Hospital explained that transgenderism is a “mental disorder.” In a commentary in the Wall Street Journal he wrote: “Claiming that this is a civil-rights matter and encouraging surgical intervention is in reality, to collaborate with and promote a mental disorder.”
Yet, some states have passed laws barring psychiatrists, even with parental permission, to work with transgendered minors to restore natural gender feelings. “Other kinds of disordered assumptions are held by those who suffer from anorexia and bulimia nervosa, where the assumption that departs from physical reality is the belief by the dangerously thin that they are overweight,” Dr. McHugh explained.
Not only is pushing for transgender bathroom rights not helping those identifying as trangender, but many others are being hurt by it. Abuses are being reported across the country. In Chicago, on May 13 an 8-year-old girl was choked unconscious by a man in a women's bathroom. You can read about 25 cases here and 5 cases here to understand the dangers this is causing.
We must pray and speak out against this dangerous agenda in every way that we can.