According to the Diocese of Metuchen Divine Mercy Apostolate, to gain the promised benefit of Mercy Sunday (the Second Sunday of Easter), one must:
1. celebrate the feast,
2. sincerely repent of all sins,
3. place complete trust in Jesus,
4. go to confession, preferably before that Sunday (confession during the feast can be eight days before or after Mercy Sunday, or even, say some, during Lent. At any time, all mortal sins must be confessed prior to the reception of Communion)
5. receive holy Communion,
6. prominently display and venerate the Image of the Divine Mercy,
7. be merciful through spiritual and corporal works of mercy in thoughts, words and deeds for others.