The devotion of meditating on the passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ by making the Stations of the Cross is a centuries-old tradition.
Sometimes described as a “miniature pilgrimage” to Jerusalem’s holy sites along the Way of the Cross, the deeply prayerful devotion began in the Holy Land, then spread to other places over the centuries. In 1731, Pope Clement XII set the number of stations at 14. In 1742, Pope Benedict XIV urged the 14 stations to be installed in all churches.
The faithful can even follow Christ along the Via Crucis at outdoor shrines.
San Luis, Colo., a small town of less than a thousand residents, is home to the Stations of the Cross Shrine. The stations are situated...READ MORE